The perfect make ahead crowd pleaser ... with attitude!
- 1 kg of beef short ribs – get your butcher to cut them in half if they are long
- 125mls FIRECRACKER GLAZE or to taste
- 1 brown onion – peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 dried chillies or to preference
- 1 tbs five spice powder
- 2 Tsps of WILD MUSHROOM SALT (or to taste)
- Beef stock – enough to just cover the contents of the pan
- Griddled mushrooms, stir fried greens and steamed rice to serve
- Place the onions on the base of a slow cooker dish, with the ribs on top. Add the FIRECRACKER GLAZE, chillies, five spice powder and garlic. Just cover with beef stock, season with salt and black pepper. Cover the top with a double layer of baking paper, cover with the lid and cook until tender – usually 8-9 hours on low. The paper is optional but prevents too much evaporation – good to use if your cook is overnight, and you can’t keep an eye on the liquid level. You can also cook in an oven at 130c for 4 hours, or even sous vide (stock not necessary with the latter) .
- When cooked and fork tender, carefully remove the ribs - taking care not to pull the meat off the bones, any excess fat that hasn’t been rendered can be removed from the meat. Place to one side. Skim off any fat from the surface of the stock.
- Reduce the liquid if necessary, in a pan over high heat until it is thicker and more concentrated - then blend – a stick blender is perfect. This will reduce it to a thicker sauce, it may need an extra dash of the FIRECRACKER GLAZE. Blitz everything, including the chillies - this is up to your personal taste … I love to use Chipotle or Morita chillies but any chilli is fine . fresh or dried. Remove or omit the chilli if you prefer.
- The ribs will reheat deliciously from this stage, so feel to cook a couple of days ahead.
- Serve with steamed rice, charred onions, stir fried Asian greens such as Chinese Broccoli , Morning Glory or Bok Choy with our CHILLI CARAMEL GLAZE and griddled mushrooms – a combination of field, oyster and king mushrooms work perfectly.